http://www.seniorhomes.com/p/the-family-transition-blog/

Friday, February 25, 2011

Rare Lincoln Pardon of Adam Law, African American Soldier. Who owns it?

The National Archives wants me to donate this document to them.

The government gave up 'title' to this document in 1865. Where were these Civil War documents stored,( if they were,) or were they thrown away, given to this soldier, did he arrive in DC and work for my client's ancestors... how did it arrive on the closet shelf, sandwiched in the book, for 160 years, where I found it?  


Who was Mr. Adam Law?  What did he do after his pardon from court martial by President Lincoln? Was he discovered by my client's ancestors in Freeman land and hired to work for them? I have no proof of this. I know they went there on a three day pass. That pass is also at auction. 


To accomodate the Archives request I am seeking a buyer to pay me a reasonable market value for the document, with the understanding and agreement to give it to the Archives  as a donation for a tax write off. 


I do not itemize so that is of no use to me. I do have a mortgage to pay.I am a small woman owned business, struggling to survive in a very lackluster economy. There are many people in the world who need the tax deduction.


As my attorney said...if it belongs to the Archives how can they accept a donation from the "owner".  And they did say that to me. 
So, I have asked them to provide me with a donation form or letter for my use when selling to whomever eventually buys it.  


My business is in part, cleaning out junk, organizing, discovering, preparing, marketing and selling objects of art, furnishings, documents and other items.


 This is one of those items. I came by it legally. I salvaged it from being tossed into the rear end of a garbage truck.I found it and am responsible for it's appropriate disposition.  


The Fifth Amendment of the United States Constitution states
" Right to just compensation for private property taken for public use."


If the National Archives can not pay for this document, then perhaps they can assist in locating a benefactor who will. 


I am alive. This soldier is not. A. Lincoln lives on through our struggle for a just democracy. I think he would agree with me on this one.

1 comment:

Hugh said...

Heard about this on WTOP news. Seems to me you came about this document fair and square and ownership is yours. The Archives surely purchases rare documents from private owners - I don't see that they have a compelling case here to just grab it out of your hands. Hold tight for now and let them think about it.

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive